Saturday, September 19, 2009

Kwassui Sports Day

This is me with some of the girls in my math class.
The Eye of the Typhoon
Marching
The class flags. My class flag is the American flag.
Yesterday was my school sports day. I practiced for sports day almost every day at school for four weeks and the other girls at the school started practicing before I started school! The day started out with an opening ceremony. The only thing I understood from the opening ceremony was that they had worship during the opening ceremony. After a quick warm up the games began. My first event was jumping and I must say that I will not be going to the Olympics for it anytime soon. I only jumped 30 cm. After jumping I was able to relax for a little while and watched the other events that were going on. There was a big pants race, a 100 meter race, many club relays, races where they had to blow up a balloon while running and then pop it, and some dances from the junior high. After those events were finished the 3rd year high school students which are the seniors had a costume race and then put on a performance. The costumes were all very amazing and the performances were very funny. The first part of the first performance I did not really understand what was going on but in the end Michael Jackson came by and made everything all better. Then they danced to thriller. The second performance they danced to music and dressed up like people from the roaring twenties. In the third performance there was a wedding and people weren't really getting along. Then President Obama arrived with Michelle Obama in a limo and said "Yes we can!" He made it all better and then they danced. Everyone really loves Obama here. Many of the class flags that they made said "Yes we can!" After lunch with our families the events began once again and were kicked of by marching. My next event was the eye of the typhoon and all of the second year high school students competed against each other. We ran with this huge bamboo stick and before we passed it of to the next line our class had to jump over the bamboo stick. It is a really difficult event to explain. My last event was the dance that we practiced for so long. It was a dance to four different songs. The songs were "Rock Around the Clock", "Fly on the Wall" by Miley Cyrus, "London Bridge" by Fergie, and "Best of Both Worlds by Hannah Montana. The events wrapped up with another dance with the first year high school students and some other grade events such as jump roping. The teachers also had one event which was trying to through balls into a basket that was on a bamboo stick. To close sports day there was a closing ceremony and a few awards were given out. When the ending ceremony came to a close we had to clean up by taking down the tent and taking our chairs back to the classroom. I was so exhausted by the end of the day and really ready to go home and relax. I had spent the previous night up late sewing on my zeken which is the thing on my shirt that says my class and my name. It me a little over a hour to sew and my classmates said it only took them a half hour!

4 comments:

  1. Hannah, Sports day sounds so sweet! I am going to a town sports event tomorrow, and I hope it's half as cool as your school's.
    The part about the third year dances with MJ & Obama cracked me up! : )
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. So more sewing, more running and more yoga for you! (for all of us probably). Happy Birthday, Honey! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. way to blend in while marching, hannah!;)
    -grace

    ReplyDelete