Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Kwassui Cultural Fair


Last Saturday was my schools cultural fair. My class had been preparing their games for weeks for the fair. During the day of the fair I mostly spent helping out my classmates with the games but I also had a chance to watch some of the programs on the chapel stage. The first show that I watched was the chorus singing and some people played the piano. The piano playing was absolutely amazing I had never seen anything like it before. The girls fingers just flew across the keys on the piano. After the first show we went to one of the classrooms where they were giving out juice and snacks. They decorated the room to look like Hawaii. A few of my classmates and I  then had to return again to help out with the games. Many people came. I think more than one hundred and fifty people came and played the games. There was rarely any down time. After lunch I went to see one of the classes perform a short version of high school musical. They did a few scenes from it in Japanese and then they danced to various songs from all three movies but did not do the singing.  Next I went to do tea ceremony which the tea ceremony club was conducting. This was my second time doing tea ceremony. The first time was last Thursday. My host mom's aunt taught tea ceremony and she showed me how what to do. I really enjoyed it. It was very peaceful. I really liked the tea which is called Matcha but did not really like the sweet thing with it. Both times it was really hard to sit with my knees tucked under. This way of sitting is called sesa. After the tea ceremony my legs were so numb! I got up anyway and walked back to the chapel stage where the dance club was performing some dances which were really good. The next show was the one that I wanted to see the most and that was the Rhythmic gymnastics club. They put on a really great show and were very talented. Kwassui's Rhythmic gymnastic club has won many awards and are very respected in Nagasaki. I was very tired when the fair was over and was happy to rest on Sunday! 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty cool Hannah. We westerners sure do not sit on the floor much but it would be better for our backs if we did. Hopefully, your knees and legs will eventually adapt to the sitting for tea. Your yoga ought to help with that! Thanks for the neat entry that gave me little more of a vision of what your school is like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it sounds like everyones extremely talented in japan. and i love how yall are doing peace signs in the picture! hahaha its so great

    and speaking of yoga, we have a yoga friday elective that this core power lady teaches. i wish you were here to take it with me!

    ReplyDelete