Monday, August 24, 2009

A busy three days





My orientation was this weekend and it was really long. Some parts of it was fun the. It took place at a hot spring. So there were about 10 kids there but only three of us were inbound students. One girl was from France and one girl was from Canada. When we first went there we had lunch at the restaurant and then we listened to speeches and we had to make a small speech. We went up to a tatami room and sat on the tatami mats and listened to the kinds from Rotex speak. They are kids who already went on there exchange and came back. After we went to the onsen which is a Japanese hot spring. It was so relaxing. The water comes from the sea so there is good minerals in it for you. It makes your skin sift. It was also very hot so I only stayed in for a little while. Next was dinner and at the end they brought out a karaoke machine and some people sang. I did not sing at dinner. After dinner the kids went to one of many small rooms where you can use a karaoke machine. There I sang one song and I learned that I am not good at karaoke! The next day we went and listened to a guy from Canada talk about culture differences in Japan. He has lived in Japan for 8 years so far. It was really interesting. Then we took a bus up into the mountains it was a pretty drive but it was too hot and the roads were very curvy and I got car sick. We went to a place called Nito Pass. Then we took a rope way that carried us up to Mt.Myoken and then we had a short little climb to the top of Mt.Fugen. Next to Mt.Fugen is Mt.Heisei Shinzan which is a vol canoe which we saw. After we went back to the hotel grabbed our luggage and went back home. It was about a two hour bus ride from the hot spa. On Sunday after we got back we ate dinner but after there was a little festival going on right outside of my host family's apartment. We went and walked around. They have this one game where you can try to catch as many goldfish as you can without braking the net thing. Which does brake very easily and I didn't know it so I broke it very easily and didn't catch any fish but they gave me some fish anyway. After I got this really good dessert. It was ice with chocolate and banana on it. Then we saw fireworks which were amazing and they were so pretty! The best fireworks I have ever seen. On Monday I went with part of my third host family to the penguin aquarium and we saw many penguins they were so cute! After we went to one of there restaurants and ate a big meal with the rest of the family. They were experimenting with what foods I liked. Some of it was good some stuff was interesting and I wouldn't want to eat it again. I will write again soon to tell everyone how my first days at school went!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hannah! We prayed for you at youth group last night - we had a lock-in. My goodness you have been busy, and sounds like you are probably exhausted. I love seeing the pictures! Keep them coming!

    "May God bless you and keep you; may God's face shine upon you and be gracious to you; may God look upon you kindly, and give you peace."
    -- Numbers 6:24

    One more thing...something to ponder...I found it in a book by Joan Chittister - a Benedictine sister - and thought of you on your journey.

    "Prayer gives us the rootedness we need inside to cope with the frenzy around us."

    God Bless you Hannah!

    ReplyDelete