Friday, November 13, 2009

Nagasaki International Festival

One of the performers at the park by the bay.

Learning the song on the koto.
On October 25th I went to the Nagasaki International Festival it was small but I enjoyed it. I went with my two friends who are also exchange students. One is from Canada and one is from Mexico. However only the girl from Canada is a Rotary exchange student. Outside and inside there was a small flee market selling things such as clothing and dishes. There was also many food stands. I had some Indian chai tea. It was delicious. I also tried some more borscht but this time it wasn't very good so I threw it out. There was a St.Paul and Nagasaki sister city booth and much to my surprise there was a poster with a few pictures of me on it! I found it amusing. One lady came up to me and my friend and said "please come play the koto." So we followed her over to the Japanese instrument. It was so hard because it has so many strings and a couple of nice ladies taught us how to play a famous Japanese song on the koto. We were at the festival to watch a Mexican dance so while we were waiting for the dance we went to the nearby park which is my favorite spot in Nagaski because it is right by the water and there are palm trees. It is beautiful. At the park there was another event going on and there were performers doing amazing stunts and there was also a couple of clowns that we watched. When we returned to the Nagasaki International Festival we watched some Kendo, Japanese traditional dance, a group playing kotos, and the Mexican dance. I really enjoyed the Mexican dance and it was to one of my favorite songs that I learned at Spanish camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment